Sunday 9 March 2014

Fewston Reservoir, Sunday am

After a slight delay getting out the door thanks to spilling a portion of stew all over the fridge freezer we headed out to Fewston Reservoir at Blubberhouses just off the A59. I go past this reservoir on the bike every time I'm out ringing so thought it would make for a good length walk as plenty else to be doing for the rest of the day. A total of 3.7 miles round the whole perimeter and a nice easy stroll.

Plenty to be seen on what was a stunning start to the day. From the road dozens of Lapwing could be seen displaying on the moor, Curlew too. My first Treecreeper of the year spotted almost straight away. A lone Great Crested Grebe in full breeding garb was bobbing about, a shame it was alone as I love to see the amazing dancing displays of one of my favourite birds. I was chuffed to bits with the next spot, 26 gorgeous Whooper Swans bang in the middle of the res, stopping off before heading north to their breeding grounds, Iceland, Scandinavia or Russia...I've not managed to get round to seeing them this winter so definitely better late than never!

Tufted Duck, Mallard, Teal and Goldeneye also around as well as a pair of bright Grey Wagtails on the water's edge, always a welcome sight.

Done my chores for the day so I can now settle down to a bit of Puffin drawing after what has been a hectic week of other work, it will feel good to pick up my pencils again!

Sunrise and a Starling before setting off









26 Whooper Swans in total

 

Grey Wagtail
Male Goldeneye


Enjoy the rest of your Sunday folks :)

1 comment:

  1. A good day out Meg in lovely spring weather.
    Well spotted on the Treecreeper and a bonus with the Whoopers

    ReplyDelete