Sunday 2 March 2014

A successful morning's ringing

Yesterday's ringing session in my trainer's back garden proved another successful haul of over 70 new birds including 26 Siskin, 20 Goldfinch and 10 Redpoll. Ten species in total, the others were Robin, Blackbird, Wren, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Bullfinch and a new one for me, a handsome male Starling. The first time I've even seen one in the hand so I was a happy bunny! 

I have Starlings nesting in the garage every year so I do get great opportunities to see them up close but not quite the same! They do have a reputation for being rather feisty in the hand but yesterday's was good as gold!

Some photos :)


A stunning male Bullfinch, a real favourite of mine!
A male Blackbird, we had another with an almost orange beak, most handsome!
Wriggly Wren
And my personal highlight, a male Starling!
The blue base of the beak tells us he's a male, if it was pink it would be a female, quite fitting really!
Iridescent feathers galore!

No comments:

Post a Comment